Updated: Nov 25, 2020
This recipe was kindly given to me by the lovely Salima Saunders, Salima is a chef and caterer specializing in vibrant vegetarian cooking and healthier baking. Healthy doesn't ever mean boring for this cook! For Salima, food is love, and she has a passion for using her food to bring everyone together around the table and foster community building.
Granola is typically laden with sugar, preservatives, and flavouring agents. This granola recipe was created by my mother to give us a healthier and more filling breakfast option when we were growing up. The nuts and seeds get really caramelized and develop a sweet flavour as they roast in the oven. I love the taste of roasted nuts, and this breakfast can keep me full and satisfied for hours!
2 cups of raw nuts of your choosing (I like walnuts, almond slivers, and pumpkin seeds)
1 cup of oatmeal or an additional cup of nuts if you want a gluten-free granola
¼ cup of coconut oil or olive oil
¼ cup of maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (roughly 180 °C)
2. Place all ingredients on a large baking tray and bake for 20 minutes
3. Stir granola periodically
4. Reduce oven heat to 275 °F (roughly 135 °C) and bake for another 20 minutes
5. Let the granola cool. Store in the pantry for about 2-3 weeks.
6. Serve over Greek Yogurt or use as a topping for smoothies, chia pudding, or oatmeal.
You can find Salima experimenting in the kitchen and navigating LA's many farmer's markets and ethnic grocery stores @livefullychef or reach her by email at email@example.com.