Updated: Nov 21, 2020
This recipe was kindly given to me by the lovely Salima Saunders, Salima is a chef and caterer specializing in vibrant vegetarian cooking and healthier baking. Healthy doesn't ever mean boring for this cook! For Salima, food is love, and she has a passion for using her food to bring everyone together around the table and foster community building.
I had such a craving for Nutella while staying home in Los Angeles, so I thought I would make it up myself! Using ingredients from the pantry, you can make your own chocolaty spread so good, I eat it regularly just as is with a spoon. I also like to spread a bit on strawberries for a gourmet dessert or blend it into a smoothie. You can’t go wrong with this Hazelnut NOTella!
1 cup of hazelnuts
2 TBS coconut cream
3 TBS Cacao Powder
2 TBS maple syrup
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. On a baking sheet, lay out your 1 cup of hazelnuts, and once the oven is preheated, put the tray in the oven for 10 minutes to toast the hazelnuts. You will know when they are done when the nuts become fragrant and the skins start to peel off.
3. Remove the hazelnuts from the oven and let them cool completely.
4. Once the hazelnuts have cooled, put them in a food processor and process for about 5 minutes.
5. Add coconut cream, cacao, maple syrup, and salt to the food processor and blend together for another 2 minutes until you have a nice nut butter consistency.
You can find Salima experimenting in the kitchen and navigating LA's many farmer's markets and ethnic grocery stores @livefullychef or reach her by email at email@example.com.